Thursday, December 08, 2005

2 Corinthians 9:6-15 - Giving in Faith

630pm27-11-05.mp3

Passage: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
Originally Preached: 27/11/05 - 6:30pm Service - St Stephen's Anglican, Belrose
Series: If I was a Rich Na Na Na

Description: Why do we give? A study of Paul's reasons why a Church should give financially, with a look at the Prosperity Doctrine.

Comment: This was an interesting passage to preach. I was given the task of preaching on "Giving in Faith" with a critique of the prosperity doctrine. But I didn't really feel like that was where the passage was leading. As the sermon shows, I didn't feel like it was my place to critique the prosperity doctrine given the context of St Stephens. It wasn't our issue. Plus this passage didn't seem to be as much about giving in faith, as about why we should give. Hence me changing the big idea.

This was my first sermon on money and I was a little scared. Money is a scary thing to tell people about. Probably because it's secretive, and it's a thing we can get quite obsessed over. If we live in a culture with a dominating idol, then our idol would be money. Try telling people how to worship this god and you may get executed as a heathen. Happily, everyone was nice to me after this one.

The intro to this sermon was especially fun. This was my first silly intro for a while, and I never knew hellfire and brimstone could be so much fun. I need to find more excuses for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home