Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Phil 3:10-11: Living the Resurrection

630pm08-04-07.mp3

Passage: Phil 3:10-11
Originally Preached: 08/04/07 - 6:30pm Service - St Stephen's Anglican, Belrose
Series: Special Service: Resurrection Sunday

Description: The resurrection of Jesus holds power for us in eternity and right now.

Comment: I came into this sermon feeling lots of pressure. It was the Resurrection Sunday sermon and I had all long weekend to work on it. I had preached the week before and didn't feel that good about it. So I was wanting to do Easter Sunday justice (as if you can) and I was wanting to preach well.

This sermon completely wiped out my long weekend. I was working on all weekend right up until the hour I preached it. I didn't have my last illustration until that afternoon. It was really one of those ones that take it out of you.

The question of what it meant to have fellowship in Jesus' sufferings was tough. I'm not sure if I got my head around the concept. But I did at least get to think about it for a while. I came to the conclusion that is about Christ being present with us in our sufferings. Christ has suffered and we too will suffer. He understands what we go through. In our suffering we join with him in fellowship.

The illustration about my little sister may have sounded like she lives in an institution. But like I said on my blog, she doesn't.

Other than that I don't think I have much more to say about this sermon. I was pleased with how it turned out. I think the pressure helped. It ruined my weekend, but there were twenty something minutes of gospel at the end, so I guess it's an alright trade off. I hope it was.

After this sermon I got a visit from the Assistant Minister who had some constructive comments for me. He had feed back on my delivery. His suggestions for me were to slow down, give sustained eye contact to the audience, not move too much when I speak. It was good. I rarely get people giving practical delivery advice, so I'm working on those things now. Hopefully I'll get better at them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home