Tuesday, October 10, 2006

1 Kings 17:1-24 - God's Training Scheme

630pm08-10-06.mp3

Passage: 1 Kings 17:1-24
Originally Preached: 8/10/06 - 6:30pm Service - St Stephen's Anglican, Belrose
Series: The Days of Elijah

Description: Just as God did with Elijah, God uses the small things in life to train us for the big things.

Comment: I got to start a new series on this sermon and that's always fun. Plus this is Elijah and I think Elijah is rather cool, as I say in the intro. This sermon didn't take all that long to come up with the themes. But it took a bit of thinking to get an illustration. I think illustrations are coming slower these days. I need to dig deeper to find them. I know some people keep files for illustrations and the like, but that just doesn't do it for me. I generally work from personal experience and I'm not sure it works to put my personal experiences into a filing cabinet.

The illustration I did about teaching my Sunday School class was about my last church. What I forgot when I thought of the illustration was that I was having visitors at church that night from my old church. One of the girls visiting was one of the two who came to talk to me at the reunion. So I felt a little embarrassed, like that they might think that I just talk about my old church all the time. I think they survived though.

The ministries we want to "go to bed with" was one of my more embarrassing slips of the tongue. But at least people laughed.

I don't think I have much more to say about this one. I enjoyed it, people were happy, I like Elijah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home