Friday, May 12, 2006

Luke 19:1-10 - Hospitable Evangelism

10am30-04-06.mp3

Passage: Luke 19:1-10
Originally Preached: 30/04/06 - 10am Service - St Stephen's Anglican, Belrose
Series: Evangelism

Description: Jesus shares his life with Zacchaeus and changes Zacchaeus' life.

Comment: This sermon came at the wrong time to be doing a sermon. I'd just spent a week on camp, and the sermon week was full of preparation for the next term's youth ministry so I knew I wouldn't have much time for preparation. So I spent a lot of the preceding weeks praying that God would be preparing me to preach this sermon. In the end it turned out that it all came together pretty easy. I had been worried about preaching a similar sermon to the one I had done about the same time last year, but it was easy to preach something different.

The sermon it's self was difficult at the beginning. I had the topic of "Hospitality and Evangelism" but it was so hard to find a passage that where a believer invited a non-believer into their home and did evangelism. Mostly in the New Testament the Christians go into the homes of the non-Christians. And the calls to be hospitable all seem to be mainly aimed at getting Christians to welcome other Christians. So now we settled on a passage about an outsider inviting Jesus into their home; Jesus choosing to share his life with Zacchaeus. It's not perfect but it's the best we could come up with.

After that it all just slotted in, points, illustrations, everything. It was all good. Thanks God.

It was a challenge in the sermon to seek to open my life to people who aren't Christians more because I am in a Christian bubble. I need to keep working on that.

At lunch that afternoon, after the sermon, one of my friends told me that he and his wife were wondering if the girls in my unrequited love stories are the same girl or multiple girls. I thought that was funny. I didn't know I told so many unrequited love stories. The answer was, there are a few, about 4 or 5 to pick from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home