Saturday, February 14, 2009

Psalm 20 - Supporting Your Leaders

630pm04-01-09.mp3

Passage: Psalm 20
Originally Preached: 04/01/09 - 6:30pm Service - St Stephen's Anglican, Belrose
Series: Psalms of Summer

Description: The Supported Leader is the Successful Leader

Comment: It's been a while since I posted a sermon, but perhaps I need to spread them out a little bit now that my preaching opportunities will slow for the foreseeable future.

This Psalm was a difficult one to get a hold on. Mainly because it's written in a very different context to the one we are currently in. Written as a prayer for the King of Israel as he goes off to war it jars with our present reality. We no longer live in a theocracy, we have true God's king, we don't really listen to our earthly king (Queen actually) and war is no longer seen as a necessary extension of God's work on earth.

I decided to focus on the theme of supporting leaders. The Psalm does give us a picture of Israel's attitude towards it's leaders, and it's an attitude which we would do well to replicate. Of course we don't serve a human king who is on earth. But we do serve in God's kingdom under many leaders and we all operate under the kingship of Christ.

I also felt that given my impending resignation from the church I had a unique opportunity to encourage people in how they support their leaders. I know what it's like to be a leader but I would not get the support I was encouraging as I was stepping down in a week. It was a good position to be in.

Since doing this sermon, stepping down from full time ministry and joining a new church I have been working hard at praying for my leaders daily. I don't have that many ways to support them yet, being a newbie in a new church. But as time goes on I hope I can live up to my own teachings.

The quality of this recording isn't brilliant. My apologies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home